Yum woon sen
Yum woon sen is a cold dish. In thailand it is a side dish but for Europeans it can be a main course as it has meat, noodles and vegetables or it can be an entree. This is one of my favorite salads. It’s very refreshing. Whenever I made this for my friends in Belgium everybody like it and asked me for the recipe. Well, here it is. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- ½ kg scampies
- 150 gr minced pork
- 100 gr squid
- glass noodles
- 3 tomatoes
- 4 small shallots
- 3 thai cucumbers (1 if you use european cucumbers)
- 1 clove of garlic
- a bit of cilantro
- a few leaves of mint
- limes (how much depends on your flavour, I use 2 for this recipe)
- fish sauce
- a pinch of sugar
- thai chillies (how much depends on your flavour, I use 1 for this recipe)
These ingredients are just an indication. You can choose more or less vegetables or use only shrimp/meat/squid or make it vegetarian. As long as the glass noodles and sweet-spicy-sour balance is used correctly it’s fine.
- Peel the garlic and chop into fine pieces.
- Peel and clean the scampies.
- Clean and cut the squid into rings.
- Bake the minced pork and let it cool off.
- Soak the glass noodles in hot water for about 5 minutes. Drain them and let them cool off.
- Clean and cut the tomatoes into smaller pieces.
- Peel and cut the shallots into thin rings.
- Clean and cut the cucumber into smaller pieces. If you use an european cucumber cut out the middle part.
- Wash the cilantro and the mint. Chop the cilantro and pick the leaves of the mint.
- Squeeze the limes.
- Chop the chillies.
- Bake the scampies with half a garlic. Let it cool off.
- bake with the squid with the other half of garlic. Let it cool off.
- Put the glass noodles into a bowl and cut them into smaler pieces.
- Add the vegetables, the pork, the scampies, squid, pinch of sugar and the chillies and stir well.
- Add as much tablespoons of fish sauce as you add lime. Start with about 3 spoons each taste and add more until it is good for your flavour.
- If the flavours are balanced, add the cilantro and mint leaves and stir carefully.
You can remove or add ingredients.